The purpose of Code 3 for a Cure ® is to address cancer in the fire service by promoting awareness of cancer as an occupational hazard of firefighting.
WHAT WE DO
- Heighten awareness among firefighters regarding their risks of toxic exposures;
- Provide information to firefighters relative to how they can minimize their risks of contracting cancer;
- Garner support for firefighters stricken with cancer by educating the general public through social media and news media campaigns;
- Offer ongoing support and encouragement to firefighters who are either battling cancer themselves, or dealing with it on some level within their department;
- Give an honor ride on a fire engine to firefighters who are terminal with cancer (dependent on funding levels);
- Conduct a Mission of Honor and Hope (dependent on sponsorship) in which a team of firefighter cancer survivors takes a journey on a fire engine to visit various fire stations with the purpose of heightening awareness and providing support/encouragement to firefighters and fire departments dealing with cancer; and
- Conduct memorial ceremonies to honor and remember firefighters who have made the ultimate sacrifice and lost their lives to cancer.
- Heightened awareness among all firefighters regarding their exposure risks;
- Ever increasing knowledge and implementation of the most up-to-date cancer prevention methods throughout the fire service, such that the risks for firefighters are minimized to the greatest extent possible; and
- That firefighters have all the help and support they need in the event of a cancer diagnosis.