PURPOSE, VISION & GOALS
The purpose of the Code 3 for a Cure Foundation is to:
- Provide financial assistance to active and retired firefighters diagnosed with cancer who are facing a financial hardship.
- Assist active and retired firefighters diagnosed with cancer, and help minimize the effects of cancer among firefighters, by providing them with support, giving encouragement, and sharing our experiences. This is achieved, in part, through the Annual Mission of Honor and Hope. (The Foundation does not provide medical advice.)
- Provide financial support to select nonprofit cancer organizations.
Our vision is to be a leading nonprofit organization that: (1) is a well-known and reliable source of help and support for firefighters stricken with cancer; and (2) provides support to other nonprofit cancer organizations.
- Receive sufficient donations, and establish reliable sources of income, from companies, organizations and individuals through fundraising campaigns to the extent that funds are distributed on an 80/10/10 basis: 80% directly to firefighters in need, 10% to other nonprofits, and 10% to operating costs.
- Accept and process applications for financial assistance from firefighters who are diagnosed with cancer. Evaluate each application against established eligibility criteria based on information received from applicant and obtained through research, and distribute funds according to determinations made by the Foundation's Board of Directors.
- Provide a listening ear to those who ask for help and share with them our own personal experiences.
- Conduct Annual Mission of Honor and Hope, in which a crew of firefighter cancer survivors visit fire stations to share their cancer experiences and encourage early cancer screenings, as well as honor and remember firefighters who have succumbed to cancer.
- Distribute a percentage of Foundation income to select nonprofit organizations (once a sufficient fund is established).